Share the Air!

 

Home
About
Membership
Donate
Who's Who
Calendar
Birding
Wing It
Bald Eagle Days
Garden Tour
Wild At Art
Bird Friendly Bus.
Butterflies
Conservation
Education
Bird Seed
Gallery
Publications
Newsletter

           

Bird FAQS

Injured & Orphaned Birds

Bald Cardinals & Blue Jays

Hummingbird Feeders

When To Open Purple Martin Houses

Ivory-billed Woodpeckers

Lost Pigeons

House Sparrows

Bald Eagles

Woodpecker Damage

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the 2006 Board of Directors Meetings


Minutes of the Board of Directors' Meeting of
Tulsa Audubon Society

February 7, 2006

The meeting was held at Zarrow Library and was called to order at 7:10 by President John Kennington. Those in attendance were: John Kennington, Cyndie Browning, John Fisher, Martin Brown, Tomye Mainer, Carol Eames and Mary Jackson.

John K. read and discussed the minutes from the previous meeting and they were approved. The treasurer’s report was handed out. Mary Jackson made a proposal, seconded by John Fisher, that the board resolve to change the fiscal year from June 1 - May 31 to September 1 - August 31. Mary will send a copy of the proposal to be printed in the next issue of the Scissortail. The required change in by-laws will also be printed at that time and the change will be voted on at the March general meeting.

Mary also reported that the Christmas Bird Count money has been sent to National Audubon. Nearly $462 has so far been received from the Bird Seed Sale.

John K. will bring the remaining bird seed to the March meeting.

Announcements:

Sutton Avian Research Center will sponsor the Natural History Forum on February 23. Annie Griffiths Belt will be the speaker and the cost is $150 per person.

Carol Eames gave a report on the upcoming Habitat Garden Tour which will be June 10 -11. One yard has been selected. Work should also be able to start this spring on the demonstration garden at Oxley Nature Center.

Old Business:

Nothing new to report on the Mohawk Master Plan. Also, nothing has been resolved with the Tulsa Gun Club regarding property acquisition.

Also, nothing new on the Arkansas River Master Plan or the South Tulsa Nature Center in Broken Arrow.

New Business:

Money from National ($1000) is available for state projects. John K. contacted National and a representative (Connie Mahan, Grassroots Coordinator) will be here March 4 to meet with TAS members and discuss possible state projects.

A nominating committee needs to be formed. John K. will ask Gail Storey if she will chair the committee with Laurel Upshaw’s help.

The next board meeting will be Tuesday, April 4, 2006 at Zarrow Library.

 


Minutes of the Board of Directors' Meeting of
Tulsa Audubon Society

April 4, 2006

The meeting was called to order by President John Kennington. Present were John Kennington, Mary Jackson, Martin Brown, John Fisher, Gail Storey and Carol Eames.

Martin Brown led a discussion about the Important Bird Area Program and the hope he has of starting one in Oklahoma. He is planning on getting an audience with the governor to get the backing of that office and perhaps help with funding for the studies.

Martin will do a presentation on IBA at the OOS meeting on May 5, 2006.

June 3 was to be the next state Audubon meeting but the date will need to be changed to either June 17 or July 27.

The Walkin’ Jim Stoltz concert we co-sponsored with several other Tulsa environmental groups was a big success and we hope to have him for a return concert in a couple of years.

Martin suggested that we get some of the materials mentioned on the Audubon at Home website.

Hardesty Library has asked us to participate in a special garden day with Audubon information.

Carol reported that the five yards for the 2006 Backyard Habitat Garden Tour have been selected and plans are well underway for the Tour on June 10 and 11.

The next board meeting will be Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at Zarrow Library.

 


Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting of
Tulsa Audubon Society
June 6, 2006

 The June 6, 2006 meeting of the Tulsa Audubon Society Board of Directors was called to order by President John Kennington at 7:19 p.m. Those in attendance were:  John Kennington, Gary Sifter, Mary Jackson, Anita Mitchell, Jim Mitchell,

Gail Storey, John Fisher and Martin Brown.

The minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved.

The treasurer’s report and proposed budget for 2006-2007 was discussed and approved.  It was recognized that the fiscal budget for 2006-2007 would be 13 months from June 1, 2006 – July 1, 2007, due to the change of the fiscal year as approved at a prior meeting.

Committee Reports:

Field Trips:  The committee will meet June 13 with Cyndie Browning.  Field trips for children were discussed and several ideas were proposed for further discussion at the committee meeting.

Program Committee:  No report

Garden Tour:  Everything is ready and on schedule for June 10 and ll, 2006.

Old Business:

Mohawk Master Plan/Vision – Tax vote passed.

Arkansas River Master Plan – No update

Oxley Project:  Construction continues with the backyard habitat on schedule for next year.

South Tulsa Nature Center:  No progress.

Oklahoma Audubon Council:  The council will meet July 22 to discuss projects of mutual interest, including the Important Bird Areas (IBA) project.

Martin Brown reported on his presentation to the OOS. At that time he talked with several people that are interested in the IBA Project.  He hopes to have a meeting following the OAC meeting on July 22, to consider a vote for a volunteer coordinator.

New Business:

Hospitality Meet and Greet Committee:  After a lengthy discussion and proposed ideas, it was decided to appoint a hospitality chairman to coordinate refreshments for each meeting.  There will be a 30 minute period before each meeting, beginning at 7:00p.m., for refreshments and greeting visitors and potential new members.  One Board member will be responsible for greeting visitors at each meeting during the coming year. A motion and made and seconded to purchase new name tags. Motion carried.

Eagle Roost:  Concern about construction of a road near the roost area was voiced. Discussion followed and it was decided to get a map of the property and determine the boundary lines.  It was suggested that the property be posted.

The next meeting of the Board will be August 1, 2006.

Meeting adjourned.

Anita Mitchell

Secretary


Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting of
Tulsa Audubon Society
August 1, 2006

President John Kennington called the August 1, 1006 meeting of the Tulsa Audubon Society to order at 7:00 p.m. Those in attendance were: Mary Jackson, Gail Storey, John Fisher, John Kennington and Anita and Jim Mitchell.

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as submitted.

The treasurer’s report was reviewed and the update on the fiscal year change is in progress.

Announcements:

The March Audubon meeting will involve a room change or a possible location change, due to conflicting meetings at the Garden Center. Several possible alternative locations were discussed.

Committee Reports:

A: Field Trips - The committee met and trips have been decided upon for the 2006-2007 year brochure. The board discussed adding several activities to the brochure (butterfly walks, etc.) A picnic is planned for June 30, 2007, 6:30 p.m.

B: Program Committee – Gail Storey reported that all programs are finalized for the coming year.

C: Audubon at Home/ Garden Tour – Mary Jackson reported on the financial results of the tour (see treasurers report). We received a $1000 donation during the tour from a neighbor of one of the homes on the Garden tour.

Old Business:

A: Arkansas River Master Plan, Least Tern Island - No report B: Oxley Projects- No update C: South Tulsa Nature Center – No update D: Oklahoma Audubon Council Update – incorporate minutes from Council meeting of July 22, 2006 – Gail Storey.

E: Hospitality /Meet and Greet Committee – We are still looking for a hospitality director. Gail will coordinate September. She was also authorized to purchase new name tags. F: Eagle Roost Problems – No update.

New Business:

A: Bird Seed Sale- It was decided to continue with this program.

The next Board meeting will be October 3, 2006.

Meeting adjourned,

Anita Mitchell Secretary


Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting of
Tulsa Audubon Society
November 7, 2006 (originally scheduled for October 3)

The  delayed October Board Meeting was called to order on November 7, 2006, by Board President John Kennington.  Members in attendance were: Anita Mitchell, Jim Mitchell, Gayle Storey, Mary Jackson, Gary Sifter, Martin Brown, Carol Eames, and John Fisher.  Also present was Laura Ribitzki, guest.

The minutes of the last meeting were approved.

The treasurer’s report was given in discussed.  Mary still had not received the bank statement so the report was tentative. It was reported that the bird seed sale income has not been finalized, but should net around $800.  The Certificate of Deposit will renew on the 26 of November.  A motion was made and seconded to roll the CD over at the best rate of interest possible.  Motion carried.

Old Business:

Arkansas River Plan:  The Channels project is being reviewed, so recommendations can be made to modify the Arkansas River Master Plan if necessary.

Oxley Project:  The interior renovations will not be completed until the end of next year.  TSA may be able to go ahead and start the outside garden project before the interior work is completed, as most of the exterior work is done. Funding is in place for this project.

South Tulsa Nature Center:  No update.

Oklahoma Audubon Council:  Erick Beck has agreed to assume the responsibility as volunteer coordinator for the IDB project.  The goal is to identify global bird sites within Oklahoma by next year. Funding will be needed to pay the expenses incurred as part of this project.  The next council meeting will be held in Norman, at the Noble Museum, in February, 2007.

Hospitality Committee:  Laurie and Renee McGrouty along with Geraldine Rouk are the coordinators of this Committee. They will take care of the food assignments, name tags, drinks, plates, etc.  Board members will greet members and guests at the door according to the schedule previously established.  Reminders will be sent to board members of their meeting assignment.

Eagle Roost:  The boundaries still need to be marked.  The city of Sand Springs is in the process of putting in the road from the Keystone Preserve.

New Business:

Outing:  The first outing will be held Sunday, November 12.  Carol Eames will lead this group.

The Channels Project:  This project was discussed extensively by the members. Environmental groups have raised approximately twenty-three issues regarding the project.  No detailed plans or studies for the project have yet been presented by the sponsoring group which precludes effective and adequate evaluation of the project. See official statement of the Tulsa Audubon Society, from John Kennington, dated November 7, 2006.

New Members:  Laurie Ribitzki presented ideas for marketing all aspects of Audubon activities to a broader range of people to increase membership and participation in TAS.  See attached list of ideas and suggestions presented by Laurie.  There was a general discussion of ideas for promoting Audubon including emphases on non-birding activities.  Laura agreed to join Carol Eames on the publicity committee and commence developing publicity packets for distribution at the Kiosk at the Tulsa Airport.  It was also recommended that we evaluate sponsoring the Boy Scout Birding Merit Badge.

Audubon Adventures Club:  Funds are available for this activity but a coordinator is needed to continue this program. It was suggested that we check with teachers that use Oxley as part of their school activities for potential participants in the program. It was noted that applications need to be made available for anyone interested in the program.

Habitat Garden Tour:  A committee head needs to be appointed and people contacted for volunteering their homes for the next tour in June 2007.

Great Backyard Bird count:   The annual count will be held in February, 2007.  Discussion was held on promoting this activity.

Bird Conservation for Education:   A meeting will be held in Austin, Texas February 5 thru 8, 2007 on this subject.

The next Board meeting will be December 5, 2006.

 Anita Mitchell

Secretary TAS


Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Meeting of
Tulsa Audubon Society
December 5, 2006

The December 5, 2006 meeting of the TAS Board of Directors was called to order by President John Kennington at 7:00 p.m.  Members present were: Carol Eames, Anita Mitchell, Gary Sifter, John Fisher, Mary Jackson and Jim Mitchell.  Also, present was Lauri Ribitzki.

The minutes were approved as corrected.

A tentative treasurer’s report was given and will be revised after the bank statements arrive.  The notice of change in the fiscal year was published in the newsletter and will be voted upon by members at the December general meeting. Minutes will be taken at the general meeting to record this vote.

Old Business: 

  1. The Channels:  No update
  2. Oxley Project:  No update
  3. South Tulsa Nature Center:  No update
  4. Oklahoma Audubon Council:  No update

E.   Hospitality/Meet and Greet Committee:  Greeters for the coming months:

December:  Martin Brown

January:  Gary Sifter

February: John Fisher

March: Carol Eames

April: Anita Mitchell

May:  Carol Eames 

The suggestion was made that a notice be placed in the newsletter to call John if a ride is needed to attend the monthly meeting.

    F    Eagle Roost:  No update

    G.   Afternoon Outings:  Carol reported that the last afternoon outing was success.           Several families attended. These outings will continue in 2007.

H.   New member ideas - Laurie Ribitzki :  Laurie will try to get information on the activities of the TAS included in the appropriate section of the Tulsa World Spot.  She also plans to notify TV Channels of events (ex. Eagle Days, Field trips, etc.)

We will also be focusing on getting a program in place for the Scouts/Campfire

Merit badge. A day will be assigned for this project in 2007/08.

The Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department was also discussed as an outlet for providing information to the public on Audubon activities.  It was further noted the Department could be a possible source of funding for the Oklahoma Audubon Council in identifying global bird spots (IDB).

I.   Audubon Adventures Club:  Carol is getting names of teachers that might be   interested in this program, which  focus'  on 4th and fifth graders.  TAS will provide the material for this program

New Business:                                                                                                                 New Mailing Service:  Carol Eames has agreed to do the mailing for TAS.  Mary Jackson will pick up the materials from the Sheltered Workshop. 

Backyard Bird Count:  The count is scheduled for February 16-19, 2007.   A flyer on this activity will be included in the next newsletter.

Carol Eames reported that Jo Lloyd needs a new membership roster.  John will e-mail this information to the board and to Jo.

The next meeting will be February 6, 2007.   Meeting adjourned.

Anita Mitchell

Secretary

 

 

 

 

 

 

Send mail to johnkennington@cox.net with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2013 Tulsa Audubon Society
Last modified: January 28, 2014

 

 

 

wordpress visitor counter